Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Twice as lucky


The other day I thought I'd just do a quick charity shop run after work and by complete chance found this gorgeous hand embroidered blouse. I reckon that it had just been put out in the shop as I'm surprised it hadn't been snapped up by another vintage lover.



The label says 'Pure Linen Hand Embroidered Made in Hungary' and from the style and feel of it I think its late 1930s/early 1940s although I can't be sure. I do know that peasant blouses were quite popular then, so you never know!

I couldn't believe my luck though a few minutes later when I visited another chazza shop a couple of doors down and found my second bargain of the day. This stunning brown floral print number was hidden on the dress rail and when I pulled it out I knew that I had found a gem. Look at those sleeves: pure Seventies gold - a Cadbury's Flake advert of a dress!

Note the Kate Bush/Stevie Nicks-ian arm gestures - just gotta do those sleeves justice!

These last finds seem a bit mundane after all that, as I've added two more plates to Project Cake Stand and brought a couple of old wooden cotton reels.


 

I'm giving myself a little break from my current cardi project as the yarn is a real pain to knit with and I keep loosing my temper with it. So to soothe those frazzled nerves I started a pair of arm warmers yesterday. I love knitting these as I find working with double-pointed needles (especially the wooden ones) so therapeutic. The yarn I'm using is Colinette Jitterbug in the Gaugin colourway and contains all my favourite colours from turquoise through to dark purple. These are the fifth pair that I've knitted using the same pattern, so you could say that I'm a bit obsessed!!

Arm warmers are my autumn/winter staple and look great with rolled up denim jacket sleeves.


24 comments :

  1. Hi VK, wowser, the blouse and the dress (and the sleeve) are real stunners but I have to admit that I'm drawn to that mosaic step behind you. Magnificent. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous - what finds and well done on your eagle eye! Love the colours on the armwarmers - Colinette have a gorgeous range of colours in their yarns x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well! Love the clothes especially the dress - my sort of dress!
    Pretty plates
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I was already speechless when I saw that stunning blouse but that maxi has me gasping for breath, it's just beautiful on you, I love it. Is there a maker or a label? It's a stunner.
    Liking the look of those armwarmers, gorgeous with denim. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Charity shop finds are awesome! well done. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loo - I made the mosaic years ago using tiles and broken crockery, although its a bit frost damaged now and needs a tidy up.

    Rose & Bird - I'd love to have a trolley dash at the Colinette shop!

    Julie - the dress is a stunner isn't it?

    Vix - no it doesn't have any makers label unfortunately, just the size and wash label.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you did really well, fabulous finds! Im waiting for my days off so I can hit the chazza shops :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  8. "chazza' shops, ha ha ha! I love the peasant blouse, its absolutely beautiful, it does have a 40's look doesn't it, I have a french one from the 40's and the shape is very similar x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OoH, bloomin' lovely haul VK. That blouse is a true lucky find! Do I spy a copy of 'To Bed with Grand Music' by M.Laski lurking behind those cotton reels. If so, I really enjoyed that book. What did you make of it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there,
    The blouse is really stunning, I love folksy embroidery. I hardly ever find anything vintage in charity shops nowadays and when I do come across something it's usually either a drabtastic polyester granny dress or something wildly overpriced. I have much more luck at the car boot sales. The dress is amazing too, frocks like this seem to be all the rage at the mo, I've seen a few in a similar style being snapped up on eBay for quite a lot of money, so well done for bagging that vintage gem.
    Take care luv,
    Jennie
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow how lucky were you with that top and dress?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on finding these lovely things! I would say late 30's for the blouse, I've been looking for one of those for ages!! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great CS finds - sometimes you just get lucky and isn't it a fab feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That blouse was an excellent find!

    I love Jitterbug, but my socks in it always felt. It probably makes brilliant armwarmers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely lovely blouse... great find...

    ReplyDelete
  16. very jealous of your amazing finds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. u were really lucky!!! this dress looks so fabulous, i absolutely love the sleeves!!! and the blouse is so cute!! u got a new follower now;)
    love and kiss,mary

    http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jealous of the blouse! I went to Hungary last year; they cover everything in motifs like the ones on your blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blouse is soooo pretty, what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh lovely bargains, that blouse is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both the blouse and the dress are divine - fabulous finds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dress! Amazing! Looks fabulous on you, I'm extremely envious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you ever want to sell that coat, I'm all over it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...