Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Out of the bag

I had some spare time for a quick project the other day and decided to run up a shoulder bag from an 1950s circle skirt that I brought years ago and later decided that it wasn't the most flattering garment for me.



Although I didn't like the skirt, I love it's barkcloth fabric with an oriental design in vibrant colours. Being a circle skirt its made out of yards of fabric, so I carefully unpicked it and have plenty left over after using about quarter for the bag. I lined the bag with lime green cotton and trimmed it with a vintage dress buckle and a couple of Scottie dog buttons.

The bag has had its inaugural outing today to Berkeley Castle, where Monkeychild and I picnic'd in true vintage style with our case and a folding picnic table, which was a recent boot sale buy for £2. It was covered in some skanky old Fablon, which I tore off and replaced with some oilcloth that I had in my stash.


And here's a sneak preview of my next project...


...a revamp of my old armchair. The woodworm have been nuked; the fabric and paint have been brought, so in a week or two I hope to have it completed.

16 comments :

  1. Berkeley castle is a perfect spot for your vintage picnic.
    Looking forward to seeing your chair project.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bag, but I am adoring your funky fold-up table - how very civilised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bag - love the table.
    Can't wait to see the chair
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picniccy stuff. Can't wait to see the chair re-covered and given a makeover!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bag...pattern is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the chair.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love both the table and the pic-nic-basket! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers I have the wanties really bad now! That bag is gorgeous and what a way to picnic!
    I bet the chair is going to be fabeedoo.
    Love
    Tickety-boo
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great make with the bag - love it! Also adore your picnic table! What a great find and make over. Very much looking forward to seeing the chair revamp :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bag is genius, I love the fabric and I'm much rather remake something that doesn't suit me into a more practical item that can be admired and loved.
    What a civilised picnic, I love that table. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness you are like Tickety-boo, skilled in many areas!

    I love love the bag, what gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome bag, loving your picnic too, v fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a very civilised picnic! I love Berkeley Castle - the perfect place for a perfect picnic.
    Cathy X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know that you have a lovely article written about your blog in the September issue of Simply Knitting. Am still trying to master the digital camera so you can have a pic of the cardi! Hope to get there soon.
    shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thanks for the tip-off Shirley, I'll look out for a copy tomorrow. On yes, I'd love to see how that cardi turned out as its such a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bag is fab, always nice to reuse something pretty!
    Looking forward to seeing the chair makeover too x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your blog comment. Just catching up with yours! Good luck with the chair project! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...