Monday, 11 July 2011

Sunny Sunday's boot sale

Even though I had partied at a friend's wedding reception on Saturday evening, I made an effort to get up early for the following day's boot sale, which kicked off at 8am. Getting there early paid off, as people were starting to set up their pitches and hauling boxes of stuff out of their cars. It was a really gorgeous morning and I think this was the reason why the majority of people seemed to be very cheerful. By the time Dad and I met back at the car to go home, I had more reasons to be cheerful than just the glorious weather.

This Lloyd Loom laundry  box is stamped with the date '16 Oct 1956' on its base. I thought that it would make an ideal toy box for Monkeychild, so I haggled a bit and brought it for £2.75. In the 24 hours since buying it, I've given it a bit of a make-over, spraying it with a couple of cans of Monkeychild approved pink Plasti-kote spray, which were bargain buys at Focus as they were reduced in price by 80% in the closing down sale - I do love a bargain!

I made the heart decoration this morning from some scraps of felt and fabric
I also supplemented my cake-stand stash, buying the yellow Minton plates and an embroidered tea cosy for £2.50, whilst the Myott's cup and saucer cost just 50p.



 This pine toolbox was my first buy at the boot sale. The owner had just put it out and wanted £10 for it and was sticking to her price. I really liked the toolbox and knew that if I walked away and waited 'til later to see if she'd reduce the price, that it would have sold by then as a couple behind me were also keen on it. Finally, she relented and I brought it for £9.50; that's a bit more that what I would normally pay, but I'm very happy with it. After a clean and a good polish, its come up well and I'll be using it to store part of my knitting stash in.


I can keep my knitting needles in the lift-out front part - ideal!

 Looking at the items below you'd think that the £3 paid was okay for the chocolate tin and box as they're quite decorative and you know that I'm partial to a nice bit of packaging...


...however, open them up and look whats inside - lots of lovely buttons! The loop of green buttons is almost a bracelet in itself and I'll save the pale grey flower buttons for a future knitting project.


On the subject of knitting, I've just cast on for another project - the Paris cardigan, which I'm knitting out of Rowan Bamboo Soft. Its a discontinued yarn, but I can see why Rowan discontinued it - its very splitty! However, its dyed in one of my favourite shades and should knit up into a lovely cardie for autumn.

21 comments :

  1. Your pink toybox looks great, and what a lucky DD to have it! You showed great commitment in getting up early after a night out to go to the car booty, I'm pleased you did as you have some beauties their. Especially love the Minton plates and tool box. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful things you got am partial to the wooden box but that hamper and those tins full of goodies well I love them too.
    I also love that colour you are knitting is my 2nd fav colour and I picked up some of that crochet cotton in a similar color today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did really well
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds. I really love that Lloyd Loom box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, VK, absolutely brilliant finds. I can't decide which is my favourite. Oh and thanks for reminding me, I need some spray paint and especially if it's going dead cheap in Focus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you, great finds, especially love that pink sprayed box. Have hardly managed any booting this year but am very hopeful for Sunday, please dear Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that a boot sale in Stroud? I so need to find a good car boot sale. You seem to know just where to go!!!
    Fantastic finds. I got some paint from Focus last week for the living room. Total bargain.
    Love
    Tickety-boo
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pine box was definitely worth the money (but that 50p makes all the difference, doesn't it?)
    I love the colour you've sprayed Monkeychild's Lloyd Loom. I'll miss Focus now it's gone.
    I've never heard of Terry's Spartan chocolates, sounds a bit of a contradiction considering their legendary lifestyle, I instantly think of Gerald Butler in his tight pants. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't you clever, quick and efficient painting and polishing your finds. They look brilliant.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The box is lovely and well worth £9.50, imagine you'd had to go to a shop, it would have been far more. Great score with the buttons and plates too. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow you did so well at the booty, i think £9.50 was a great price for that box as Lakota said it would have been loads in a shop :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Lloyd Loom hamper is a real find and the colour is gorgeous! I especially like the embroidered tea cosy.

    I wish I could find bargains like that at our car boot sales but it's mostly tat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great finds! Love the crockery especially, but the tool box is fantastic too! Great blog.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finds! Funnily enough my latest post features plasti-kote spray paint too but mine wasn't as cheap!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very successful trip, with brilliant finds. An old tin with buttons in is a joy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you are a force to be reckoned with and find so many lovely things at car boots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent bargains, altho I'm more interested in that pretty coloured sweater you're making! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Wonderful finds at the boot sale - love the Lloyd loom in that lovely pink colour. Just wanted to let you know that I managed to finish the smock cardigan - the cables were very hard and I had to write down every row in order to do it. Tried to do the link to find out about your beautiful afghan = could you please, please let me know what pattern it is. Would love to have a go. Love the colours you have used. Best wishes from shirley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shirley - are you on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/ as the pattern is linked on there and there are photos of other afghans too which is a help when planning the colours. If you are look me up, I'm Knit1monkey, you'll see the wool I've used in the afghan which is listed on my projects page.

    I'd love to see that finished smock cardigan, I gave up with it in the end, but it is a lovely design.

    If you're not on Ravelry, this is the blog where the pattern is from, the afghan pattern in under 'Free Patterns':

    http://feralknitter.typepad.com/feral_knitter/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Thank you very, very much for your help in locating the pattern. I have joined Ravelery so will look out for you.Think my name on there is Lulu61. I have no idea how to use a difital camera but will try and get my son when he next comes for a week-end to take a picture of the cardigan and put it on the computer. Thanks again for your kindness and the inspiration I get from reading your wonderful blog. All the best from shirley

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do like that pine toolbox. A snip at £9.50 in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...