Saturday, 23 July 2011

Out with the old

Its about time my blog had a bit of a 'make-over' so over the past couple of evenings I've been having an experiment with different backgrounds, colours and fonts and have come up with this new, improved VK blog. I've even re-worked my old banner photo with the obligatory cuppa of builder's tea taking prime position!

 
The eagled-eyed amongst you will notice that the teacup and saucer are from Ridgway's 'Homemaker' range which went into production in 1958 and was sold in Woolworths until the early '70s. I started to collect Homemaker in the 1990s when prices were cheap and built up a dinner service, which is still used for 'best'.


The price for Homemaker used to be a £1 per inch of plate but now its often double that, which puts me off somewhat. You can still find these plates at carboot sales, but if you ever see one in a red and white colourway, buy it at once as this is a legendary rare piece of Homemaker. You won't regret it!

13 comments :

  1. So jealous you have a whole Homemaker dinner service! Well collected it's lovely :)Oh the holy grail of the red one, I am aware of such a mythical piece of crockery but never had the utter joy of seeing a real one.
    Like the new look by the way!
    Tickety-boo
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoH lovely! It smells of new paint in here VK - nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great new look.... and Homemaker is still around (just)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog
    Envious with the china
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great - love the cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new blog header. Thanks for tip about Homemaker!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog is looking good! Great factoids about Homemaker, I've never come across any of the red set, unfortunately! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great set, I'll certainly look out for the red ones x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So jealous! I never see homemaker anywhere. Loving your collection :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liking the new look and I just love the top image with the knitting patterns.

    I'm trying to persuade a guy at work to ask his mum for old patterns if she still has them, be lovely to look through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Homemaker collection is fantastic, I'm extremely envious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...