Monday, 30 May 2011

Kitsch Cutie

Look what Husband found at the back of a cupboard at his parents house at the weekend....


 ...he can't remember seeing her in the house when he was growing up and his mum thinks that his father must have found her in a skip decades ago. She's remained hidden away ever since...until now. We took her home with us, have given her a clean and a new lampshade. However, I'll make a more retro shade at some point and have got some bright vintage barkcloth that might do the job. 

I think this dusky maiden is so lovely and have given her pride of place in our front room. She's not to everyone's taste, but I love to have a bit of kitsch dotted about the house.

 

Charity shop pickings have been very poor of late - is this just me being fussy or is there a dearth of vintage stuff being donated now? Anyway, the only recent buy I have to show you is this 'Royal Norfolk' dish brought for a mere 50p (so no complaining there). I think it looks rather 1950s in design and it was the vegetables and prawns that caught my eye.


I hope you all have had better luck than me during your recent charity shop browsing!

12 comments :

  1. I think she is lovely! What a great item to find hidden away! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek - she's fab! I've got her cousin (pictured in one of my "knitting" posts) - my mum shrieked when I bought her but I lurve her. Glad you've got yours in functioning order; she'll get noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's fab! A little Victoria Beckham around the nose don't you think? And that plate is a find I'd have been happy with - I love that pattern. I think it's just luck as to when you visit, but sometimes pickings are very slim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful, I absolutely love her. I've got one of her cousins, the lady I bought her from at the car boot sale thought I was mad for wanting her. That platter is gorgeous, too. Great find. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally gorgeous - I have a statue of an eastern lady that comes from the same era as yours except she's sitting up and had a lamp in her lap. And unlike yours, mine's in need of a LOT of TLC!!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what else is lurking in the cupboard :)
    not much in our cs either.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's a smasher! Great story...how often do you find something that splendid hidden in a cupboard!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love your Royal Norfolk dish - what a splendid find for 50p.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She has the prettiest, preening look on her face! Attitude in a lamp! Now THAT'S what I like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa - yes, it was the attitude that she's showing that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What treasure she is a stunner, I reall love her expression too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...