Saturday, 2 April 2011

Duvet Day

Yesterday's rain was quite a change from the sunny weather we've been having here over the past week, but by mid morning it had ceased, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone: get the groceries then hit the charity shops. After last week's happy purchases, I thought that the gods of thrift wouldn't be as generous again for a few weeks, but I struck a seam of 1970s delight in three of the shops.

My first buy was this St. Michael dressing gown; I was taken with it as soon as I saw the trail of roses down the back When I tried it on it reminded me of Abba for some reason - another good excuse to buy it!



When I was waiting to pay for the dressing gown, I had a look at the jewellery display and spotted this stainless steel and chrome Modernist ring, which fits perfectly.


In the next shop I found a tall bud vase with a bright blue base, which was ideal as I already have a pale blue one in my bathroom.  I see quite a few bud vases about, but they're always the smaller variety and the bases are in those sludgy green and brown colours. I've always thought that these vases would be great to collect and to have a large display of them in all different sizes and colours, but have avoided the temptation to buy randomly and just go for blue shades, which I don't find many of - hence my collection of two!


And my final 1970s buy was a double duvet set with this very 'of the time' design. Its gone through a 60 degree wash and is now covering the bed.


I can never pass a flea market without having a look and also picked yesterday up a pair of Woods Ware 'Beryl' breakfast teacups and saucers from the market. I was really pleased to find these as I only have the smaller sized teacups.


Remember the red case I brought last week? Here it is with the inside top and base covered in some vintage cotton fabric and trimmed off with matching ric-rac. To keep the interior smelling fresh, I also made a sachet with some lavender I harvested from the garden last year. I can't wait to use it now!


And talking of red, this week I dyed my hair a mahogany shade and was surprised how bright the colour looks in the sunlight considering I have naturally dark brown hair.  I do like this colour and think that I'll keep it for a while; I haven't had hair this red since my early twenties when I used to be a slave to henna!

17 comments :

  1. Lovely buys.
    Your hair looks wonderful.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a collection of bud vases - in fact I bought a little blue one today too! I like the your idea of the just displaying the same colour. Suitcase looks lovely, you'll have to have a weekend away to trial it. Cups and saucers look great with the Angie Lewin print behind. Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The case looks lovely and that dressing gown is such a great find.

    The hair lokks FAB-U-LOUS by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on the suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bud vases are a good idea for a collection, the suitcase is fab, and the dressing gown and duvet so retro it makes me smile. The hair is great, I was a redhead for years, my mother and sister were natural but I had to resort to the dye pot as they always said, I had a lot of fun as a redhead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both those bud vases - I collect them too, but am not fussy about colour as long as they're pretty! The suitcase was in great condition already - you've made it brand new now, I love it.

    Your hair looks great, might do similar, my hairs not been red for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dressing gown + hair.... sexay layday hehehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the tea cup/saucers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dressing gown! Great buys and fab hair ... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The suitcase is just beautiful. Some great finds there!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent bargains, love vintage St Michael! Your hair is gorgeous, I've been wanting to take the plunge too but worried it'll turn out too bright... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your great comments and compliments too!

    Foof - I was the same as you as I was worried that it would turn out too bright, but decided to give it as go as I thought that if it looks crap then I can always dye it brown again and no one would be none the wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  13. VK, your buys are stunning. Especially love the dressing gown and duvet. The vanity case looks utterly gorgeous. You did extremely well.

    Hair's looking good. Must dye mine this w/end (chocolate truffle - whatever that is!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh to have found that dressing gown - i am now putting that on my wish list - its incredible. The case was amazing to start with but you've just gone and given it some sex appeal *wink*. Your hair is fabulous too, i chuckled at the henna as I used to work in Lush and put henna on a few heads in my time and its such a mess - not to mention the skin stains! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What hair dye was it that you used? Its a fantastic colour! Im thinking of taking the plunge and dying my hair for the first time but am a bit wary being a dark brunette also. Any tips? Fab finds by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Katie, I used a Superdrug's Vibrance Maroon Red permanent colour and as my hair is past shoulder length, I used two boxes to get an even coverage. One thing I can definately recommend is to take the time to do a strand test first.

    http://www.superdrug.com/permanent-colour/superdrug-vibrance-maroon-red-645/invt/205448/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that dressing gown so much, I've been looking out for something like that myself for ages but no luck so far, all your finds are so lovely. I'm going red myself, but in stages because I'm too chicken to do it all in one go. My best second hand find this week was a big 70's trifle bowl for 20p. Don't know if it's that stylish or not but I love making and eating trifle so I did really need one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...