Friday, 11 March 2011

Out of the Cellar

No, I'm not referring to the Out of the Cellar album by '80s hair metal rockers Ratt, but that free storage space that comprises my parents' cellar. I was having a root around in there this week and came across a shelf that Dad made for me back in the early 1990s. I had seen a Shaker style shelf in an interiors magazine and as it was too expensive to buy, I asked Dad if he could make his own version of it. Being a child of the make do and mend era and an inveterate scavenger, Dad retrieved from a factory skip the carcasses of solid oak packing cases that had been used to import engineering machinery from the States, which were otherwise going to landfill (this was the non-recycling 1990s remember!) and made the shelf from these cases. I knew the shelf was down in the cellar somewhere, but it was still a nice surprise when I came across it - and now hung up on the kitchen wall, I've put it to good use storing my utility china collection...


I've had to store all this china in the pantry up until now, but am pleased to find that Dad's shelf fits the bill perfectly and I can put the remainder on the other shelves in the kitchen.

23 comments :

  1. If you had asked someone to make a shelf for that space you wouldn't have found one as nice!
    Love those pale colours on the china.
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so I'm totally lusting over your china!!! Love those pale colours. Your dads shelf unit is fabulous - my father in law is good with making stuff too, he's made me a chest of drawers which im going to paint up so might be a bit cheeky asking for a shelf like this too! :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I think handmade furniture is wonderful. My husband is good at woodwork and has made a lot of our things mainly because we couldn't afford to buy any!
    Your shelf is great and shows off all that china perfectly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a cool shelf! And fits perfectly. Brilliant. Well done that dad! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is brilliant, the china looks perfect on it.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shelf was just made for that space. It's a work of art. Love all your china.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh! Oooooooh! Oooooooooooooooooooh! Nice work Pops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those shelves, they are fabulous and to thibnk they've been made with love is even more gorgeous. I adore the colour of your walls, genius with the pastel colours of the china. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a handy dad, the shelves look great with your lovely china on.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous - I'm in love with all your china!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent shelf, what a useful dad you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bloomin' LOVE lime green! Those shelves look smashing too...
    (Malvern flea-ing this weekend?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for each and everyone of all your lovely comments; I'll have to show them to Dad, he'll be chuffed.

    Murg - didn't realise it was on this weekend, probably won't go though as I'm on a trip out to Brizzle tomorrow and Sunday is going to be allotment day - it needs a good clear out! But I must venture out to the next one though. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha 'Out of the Cellar' was my brother's favourite album back in the day!

    Lovely display.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miss M - I don't have this album but do have to admit to owning a couple of other Ratt albums; I recall that photo of you and your brother in your spandex glory that you posted on your blog a while ago - those were the days weren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great shelf looks like it was made to measure.
    cate x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea. Love the shape of the first one. I think I might do something like that to store my 1950's melamine picnic set. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dad says 'thanks' for all your comments - I think that secretly he's quite chuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi VK, just to let you know that there is an award waiting for you over on my latest post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg! Your china collection is amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You mentioned Ratt, I saw them recently on that cable tv programme The Metal Show - Still trying to get back together it would appeal. It is a great china collection by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...