Sunday, 27 March 2011

An Open & Shut Case

I spent yesterday's gloriously sunny afternoon mooching around town visiting various charity shops, house clearance shops and second hand bookshops. By the end of the day I came away feeling very happy with this liitle stash of second hand loveliness...


The case was an absolute bargain for a tenner and apart from the colour, is identical to one I had when I was a child. It's in pretty good nick and the interior doesn't smell musty either, but I think that I will re-cover the interior lid and base in some bright material. It'll get plenty of use on our family jaunts and came in very handy yesterday to carry all my purchases about in - I felt quite chic swinging it about through town.


I also brought some books from various places; the McCall's book is full of invaluable sewing advice so I can see where I've been going wrong all these years...


... a wool winder and a glass and bakelite jug to keep the milk in.


  However, after the case these have to be my favourite buys...


...my ideal outfits: maxi skirts and bell sleeves! The pattern on the left is a bit small for me so 'll have a go at re-sizing it to fit starting with the short sleeved top - just right for summer. Keep your fingers crossed that it works out okay!

I hope you've all had a wonderful and sunny weekend and lets hope this weather continues into the week.

TTFN

21 comments :

  1. What fab finds! The case is gorgeous and I'm lusting after those patterns. Maxi length and bell sleeves = perfection! Liking the look of the McCalls sewing book. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous haul, VK. Love the case and the milk jug. Like VV, I'm liking the look of the McCalls sewing book. I've come to a halt (temporary, I hope) with my sewing pattern, can't get to grips with yokes and facing!

    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds, especially love the case and the sewing book.

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lot of goodies, v jealous of the case - would have loved to have found that! Lining it will really bring it to life. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The patterns show a lot of promise! What a haul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I saw your case I thought 'that's my case'! I found (I think) the exact same one at a boot sale a couple of weeks ago. I thought mine might be 80s, but please let me know if you think it's a different era. Love the patterns - good luck with the resizing x
    http://pacificrobin.blogspot.com/2011/03/tatty-buy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you felt like a queen with that case! The "Objects of Desire" what is it like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The case is lovely, reminds me of the 'ballet case' I had when I was little. I'd forgotten about it until seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your comments folks; I apprecaite each & every one :-)

    Loo - In the words of Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush 'Don't Give Up'... on your sewing!

    Rose & Bird - I've left a comment for you on your blog - you've out bargained me ! ;-)

    Daniele - I've flicked through and it charts the progress of furniture and things, like early gas ovens, Kenwood mixers, hoovers and the like. I think it'll be a quirky read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the case - I used to have one exactly like that when I was little. In fact I asked my mum only the other day if she still has it in the loft. I'll be checking next time I go to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the case, and all the bits inside, why do i never find great things when i go into charity shops....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wool winder looks mental, I'm glad you knew what it was lol. Great finds, love the red case.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a similar case to that one but it was blue. I loved it. They don't make them a they used to any more, do they? The other finds are fab too - those dressmaking patterns - the envelopes themselves are a work of art.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine used to be blue too, June. I love the fact that it has a 'Made in England' sticker on it - something you don't see too often nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the suitcase! I was out today as I have some precious days off work, found some china. Seems like not much new stock at the moment though. I thought lots of people would be having a spring clean. Anyway, snap - I work in environment too, I am an ISO:14001 rep :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the jumble sale advise - i'll be more than prepared next time - maybe take a tazar with me next time *wink* Yes those grannies are ruthless, i'm in the know now on how to handle it and will be planning my jumble sale course a bit better come the next one! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lady Cherry - hello fellow environmentalist!

    Scarlett - I'm glad you liked my comments :-) May the force be with you at the next jumblie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant finds! So jealous of the wool winder - my mum had one in the 70's, and was always telling me off for playing with it.

    And thank you so much for the Leibster award!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought a blue (navy) one recently. Not sure what I'm goign to do with it yet but when they are in such good condition I feel i need to keeep them going for a while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nicole - My pleasure!

    Ticking - Yes, keep it, you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...