Thursday, 24 March 2011

March's Monthly Make!

I joined Annie The Felt Fairy's Monthly Make Challenge  the other day, which seems like good creative fun, especially after looking at everyone else's fabulous craftiness on their blogs and the Monthly Make Flickr Groups.

I started with these vintage button rings, which I thought I'd try out as samples for my Folksy shop. One is made from mother-of-pearl and the other is a metal uniform button with 'Thames Valley' embossed in Victorian lettering. I haven't any idea where it comes from (trains, police or buses?), so if anyone out there can enlighten me, I'd be most grateful.


 I've also made this skirt made out of my favourite Amy Butler fabric. I blogged about making the skirt back in July, but its taken me eight months to actually get round to making it. It only took a week to make, which is great for someone as impatient as me, although I hasten to add that its a very simple pattern with an elasticated waist, so no tricky stuff was involved like adding zips (well, I think that's tricky!!). I like it so much that I think I'll make another one once I find some more fabric that catches my attention as much as this.


The sewing machine has been very busy this month, as I've also made this summer top out of some Liberty print fabric. I'm not too sure whether I like it, as although I chose the right pattern size, it turned out really big - like wearing a pillow case. So I've had to take it in quite a bit, but its not as flattering to wear as the skirt so I don't think I'll be revisiting this one again.

Lesson to self: never go by the pattern illustration alone!!



Moss Stitch Bolero Update:

The needles have been clicking away and I've been good by not becoming too distracted by starting new projects without finishing this bolero. So far, the front and back are finished and ready to be stitched together and I'm working on the sleeves. After that its just the ribbed borders to knit up and it'll be finished!

15 comments :

  1. Love all your makes.
    Looking forward to seeing the bolero - may even ask to borrow the pattern LOL!!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie. I'd be happy to scan the pattern and email it to you if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cor blimey Madam you have been busy! Great stuff. Love the Amy Butler patterned skirt. I had a similar experience when making a dress last Summer - the sizing went a bit haywire and I ended up with a dress I could turn around in without taking it off! I'm sure there's a circus out there with a need for such a garment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh VK, I'm in awe of your crafting skills. Love those rings. Adore the skirt and liking the top too. I've come to a halt (temporary, I hope) with the top I'm making. Struggling with the yoke (whatever that is!).

    Good luck with finishing the bolero, you're nearly there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh please........
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by the Thames Valley button. (living in the Thames valley as I do) I wonder what it is from......

    The skirt is lovely, oh and so are you for giving me a blog award! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ring is inspired, I love it. It does look like something off an old uniform.
    Gorgeous skirt and I think that top is gorgeous,perfect with skinny jeans and that beautiful bangle. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your crafty makes - esp the thames valley button as I also live in the Thames Valley. I do know the Thames Valley police force is one of the biggest in Britain so maybe one of them lost their button along the way lol. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many talented people out there in blogland. Love that skirt. Well done you!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done - wow your clever! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You HAVE been busy! Love the skirt and the rings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rings are great - and I actually really like the top, it looks good on you in the picture anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the rings and the clothes you've made. I'd be happy to wear all of it. Look forward to seeing more.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your makes, they are very inspiring.Only just discovered your blog and am really enjoying reading your archives! I too bought some Amy Butler fabric on line to make my first skirt this weekend but when it arrived it was sooo bright and busy I think its more suitable for an apron or something.So its back to the shops for more fabric shopping (what a hardship!) pls keep posting your fabulous creations xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Grandad was a Bus Conductor for Thames Valley and I have one of these badges. I believe it came from his uniform.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...