Friday, 4 March 2011

The Bawdens - Like Father, Like Son


Currently on display in Stroud's Museum in the Park is a joint exhibition of Edward Bawden and his son Richard's artwork spanning some seventy odd years. I've loved Bawden Snr's work ever since I came across a book about him in a college library and in recent years also became aware of his son's work too. So, visiting the exhibition was a definite must for me and it didn't disappoint.

Luckily, I could take some photos, but they're a bit blurry in places due to the reflected light and my shadow!


Edward Bawden's work...

Poster for what is possibly my all time favourite film - 1952
Poster for yet another brilliant Ealing comedy - 1947
British Rail poster - 1957

One of my favourites - 'Dolls at Home' (Lyons Corner House) 1947 - I find this picture a bit creepy, but that's what makes me love it so!

Here's a comparison of Bawden Snr's work with his son Richard's work 'Staircase to the Library'...

Detail of  'Staircase to the Library'
I could happily hang the above two pictures on my wall and never tire of them, as there is always something to catch one's eye. The detail is amazing and so delicate.

Richard Bawden's work...



 The detail and use of colour is superb, whilst the graphic quality of both father and son's techniques is outstanding.

 Its  wonderful to be able to see such beautiful artwork in a local museum instead of having the travel to London to view it in a gallery.

11 comments :

  1. wow great pictures, I think I like staircase to the library best - it still has that creepy feel but so much to look at in it - Fabulous. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super...love the use of that strong marigold yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the artwork is wonderful. Like you say, the detail, especially on the staircase, the cat and fish, is marvellous. Adore the film posters too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise 'Cat' and 'Mackeral' were related to 'Titfield Thunderbolt' also my favourite film I hasten to add!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So evocative of the era, isn't it? I know that titfield Thunderbolt image well and I love it. I rather like that scary looking cat, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really like those - they have a lovely, unusual quality. Love the fishy dishy! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OoH, you naughty temptress! I wasn't going to look at this before my trip to see the show tomorrow but, oops, too late! Very much looking forward to seeing it in person too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never heard of this father an son so thanks for showing me their work on your blog. Especially like the cat one!
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, very cool. I had not heard of them, but they are great. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic stuff, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful post, and educational too, I knew of Bawden's work but this snapshot really wets the appetite. Titfield Thunderbolt is a movie I haven't seen in years. Nice choice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...