Friday, 4 February 2011

The Monotony of Moss Stitch

Having ripped out my atrocious cabling in my project cardi that I blogged about a few months ago, I've decided to re-use the yarn and knit the moss stitch 1940s bolero on the left:


"What Shall It Be - In A Pastel Shade or A Vivid colour?" - neither,  its gonna be in black!

Its a lovely vintage design and I've got the perfect brooch lined up to pin onto the finished article. However, a week into this new project and I've remembered that I have a very uneasy relationship with moss stitch. For one thing, its the monotony of having to 'knit the purls and purl the knits' that wears me down - and I'm only halfway up the back!


Previously, I've only knitted moss stitch as a trim, such as on Stefanie Japel's Puff Sleeved Hoodie below, which I also knitted in black!


Oh well, at least its only a bolero, so I should have it completed by the summer. I hope.

12 comments :

  1. I absolutely agree about moss stitch - all that switching back and forth does my head in! Good luck with the project; it looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the bolero will look very pretty when made, but as you Moss stitch is very monotous, one slip and you end up with Rib stitch!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah I know that feeling! Right now I'm knitting a top thats like k4 p1 type pattern but my usual speed is thrown off cause of that one purl, aah! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the moss stitch too .... I can crochet and sew without problem but when knitting my left thumb joint plays up something rotten .... I just finished the front of a sleeveless jumper and I am really struggling to do the back. However my sewing has been going great guns this week and if you would like to e-mail your address (debra.brown11@virginmedia.com) there is something waiting to go to the post office for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, now then! Would you or any of your readers be interested in knitting a garment for me? My friend desperately wants a Fair Isle sleeveless pullover but it is beyong my capability. I have a pattern! Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one with a moss stitch aversion. Isn't it rotten when you're knitting away only to find that you've got out of synch somewhere and like Julie says, you end up with some ribbing where it shouldn't be!

    Lala - I've emailed you my address and I can't wait to see all your efforts.

    WH - Fair isle is totally out of my league, so if anyone out there can help, please leave a comment for WH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 rows of moss stitch to edge a baby cardigan was enough for me! I found the tension goes a bit haywire there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried it once and it was too much for my tiny brain. What a gorgeous pattern though, well worth persevering. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right... the moss stitch is boring but, it is pretty to me. Also, I have seen and loved Upstairs Downstairs... I'm watching Mulbury on DVD - sorta dark!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah cool pattern. But as an amateur knitter I though moss stitch was just knit row after knit row. Whats the difference in the look?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good colour choice for the bolero

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award as I love your blog! (:

    See my blog for more information:
    http://missbsdaydreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...