Friday, 14 January 2011

The clicking of needles and snipping of scissors

Things have been quite busy here on the crafting scene off late and I blame the various vintage homestyle books I've either borrowed from the library or brought online. I find these books ideal for dipping into for inspiration and for the styling of the photos, and if they contain projects thats even better.

  
  
However, I also like to dip into my vintage library, in particular my collection of 'Good Needlework' books that date from the 1930s. One of my current projects is a felt kntting bag with a hollyhock design from the yellow covered book on the lower right below.


I'd forgotten how much I like working with felt as its quite a few years since I've done any feltwork so my stitching skills are a bit rusty; but its coming on well and I love the tactile quality of the material.


Another project that's also keeping me happy is a patchwork curtain to divide off the kitchen from the utility room. I'm cutting out the squares and marking off the seam allowances at present, which is turning out to be a task in itself - I'm longing to get the sewing machine motored up and start stitching way.


On the knitting front, I've just finished off a pair of legwarmers for Monkeychild that I knitted from a 1980s pattern and a chunky wool waistcoat for her too. These were really easy knits and didn't take long from start to finish.



I'll keep you all updated with the progress on the knitting bag and curtain, and as long as I stay away from the lure of more projects I should soon finish them off soon - but I can be a fickle crafter!

16 comments :

  1. Oooh! Can't wait to see the finished patchwork divider! Also - nice bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that bag is looking good! Bring on the finished article m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those felt hollyhocks are beautiful .... these old books and patterns are certainly an inspiration .... I keep meaning to sit down and sort through mine to get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same yellow good needlework book! I’m liking the knitting bag too- might even try one myself at some point (probably something else that will not get finished or even stared in the first place!? Haven’t seen the other books though- they look a little earlier in date(?) Such lovely covers… Good luck with the patchwork curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the needlework books. I quite often see tray cloths with those 'crinoline lady' designs like the one on the cover of the yellow book in yur photo. The bag is lovely too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I thought it might be Bell Pottery but no amount of Googling brought up any suggestions. I've now found somewhere that stocks the range and the website. Thank you so much. Books are another obsession here too. There are some lovely books on vintage style at the moment but I think I may be saving the pennies to buy some pottery.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love those books, and I love the bag
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I have the gift book on the top right but I've never made anything from it. Looking at your super bag makes me think it's high time I got it out again! Your stitching looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monkeychild is the coolest dressed girl ever! I love the colour choice of the cardi and legwarmers, so beautiful.
    Can't wait to see those patchwork curtains! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hollyhock bag is looking beautiful already. Can't wait to see the finished result. Lovely choice of fabrics for the patchwork curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the felt hollyhock bag, those 1930s designs are wonderful. I think it's great that you are making things to original designs.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bag is lovely. I seem to start things and then move on must try harder :)
    Can't wait to be inspired by your patchwork
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely hollyhock bag! And I love the legwarmers and cropped cardi - v cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone and thank you all for your lovely and encouraging comments. I've completed blanket stitching the design and this week will start to to sew it all together. I've picked up a few tips along the way, which I'll share with you when I post about the completed bag.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that bag! It's got a really Clarice Cliff vibe going on. Can't wait to see the finished article.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...