Saturday, 23 October 2010

Rumble in the Jumble

There's nothing like a good jumble sale in a village hall to perk up a Saturday morning and today's was no exception to the rule.

 I got there twenty minutes early armed with a book to keep me occupied until entry time, a capacious bag, plenty of small change and an appetite for bargain hunting. I always rummage with a strategy in mind: head to the clothes stall first as its the most popular (don't forget to check out the boxes under the tables), and then see what the other stalls are selling.

After a few minutes of tugging, elbowing and grappling, I found a 1940s satin slip which shows plenty of signs of being subjected to 'make do and mend', a hand knitted red 1950s jumper, a long black 1960/70s velvet skirt by Sportaville and a gorgeous ethnic leather bag.


Dashing across to the housewares stall I brought some vintage bias binding and pins still in their original wrappers, and a cake tin (I like the ivy pattern).


My final buy was two 1970s pink flowery Dorma pillowcases, which I'm planning to unpick and turn into a summer frock for Monkeychild. The All Things Vintage Sheets blog is a great place for bedlinen inspiration.


Needless to say, I'm very pleased with my little haul of vintage goodies all for under a fiver.

Jumble sales: you can't beat them for cheap thrills!



6 comments :

  1. You are doing this to make me jealous! I love a good Jumbly, sadly I missed our local one as I was away that day....grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen a good Jumble Sales for ages, they don't seem to have them here.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have all the jumble sales gone ?

    They are now called Antique Fairs and cost an arm and a leg to get in :)

    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The VK did well! "There's always room for another bag", love it! Great finds, those jumble sale fairies have been working overtime this week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh great bargains, esp love that jumper :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooo Hoooo! I would have been over the moon if I had found that cake tin - well done beady eye:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...