Friday, 16 July 2010

Ramblings from the Canal Bank

I'm very lucky in that my job involves a lot of outdoor work walking through some of our lovely countryside, so it was in a professional capacity yesterday that I walked the route of the former Thames and Severn Canal from Stroud to Brimscombe in Gloucestershire, as currently there is a restoration project underway aiming to restore to use the canals around the Stroud Valleys.

I started off at the disused Capel Mill and viaduct, which are impressive structures although the mill gives off a rather uncomfortable feel; I think my imagination started to play games with me!




The weather varied from bright spots of sunlight to light showers or heavy downfalls - nothing in between. However, everything smelt so fresh after the past dry spell and I was quite comfy in my waterproofs, so much so that it was a complete joy to be out and about. Even the mallards appeared to be in a chipper mood (perhaps they thought that I had brought some crusts with me!).



Stroud's industrial heritage is quite obvious from the towpath, with the former mills converted into industrial estates and weavers' cottages transformed into comfortable (and sanitary!) homes; although there is the occaisional derelict building calling out for some serious structural TLC, like this one...


The bridges are very picturesque and range from simple brick arches...


... to elegant ironwork footbridges - with very slippery wooden slats!


I think that the restoration programme should be competed in about three to four years time, so I'm looking forwards to taking a narrow boat journey along the restored canal and thinking "I worked on this!".

10 comments :

  1. I know what you mean about the old pics, looks a bit sinister. Fab pics. Will be great once restoration is complete. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend a day at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old mils around Stroud, and have a soft spot for old derelict buildings! You have a very enviable job!
    Tamzin X

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely job you have
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. any idea what the building will become? it would be a nice place to live.
    it will be interesting to watch it develope
    enjoy the weekend
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. I think that an arts centre is in the pipeline for Capel Mill and that the derelict cottage was going to be redeveloped into canalside homes. The restoration is a big project and I'm hoping to be involved for it's lifetime - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from your newest follower! Thanks so much for following my blog, yours is wonderful. I'm just catching up and I am in awe of your photography skills.
    Love the sound of the Bakelite Museum, I've spotted a few things I own in amongst the exhibits.
    Vix xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful walk. How lovely to think that the canal will soon be restored too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We too have a canal in our town... which we love to go for family walks!
    Thanks for sharing this one!
    It`s lovely!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...