Friday, 25 June 2010

Two go to Bourton

I decided to take Monkeychild for a day out and thought that a drive to Bourton-on-the-Water followed by a picnic in a field would be just the ticket.

Going mid-week and in term time meant that Bourton wasn't too busy, so our first stop was the Model Village.  The last time I visited this place was in the 1970s when I was a child; I have hazy memories of the village so was keen to revisit it.

Monkeychild loved the minature buildings, especially kneeling down to look into the shop windows. She chose her favourite house, which wouldn't have looked out of place in BBC1's Lark Rise to Candleford (scaled up of course!).


After a mid-morning ice cream treat (mint choc chip for Madam and butterscotch for me) and the impulse purchase of a 'Hello Kitty' soft toy, I decided that a stop off at the Motor Museum in the town would have (ahem) educational benefits for Monkeychild. This is one of my favourite museums, the vintage and classic cars it houses are wonderful. It also has one of the biggest collections of enamel signs that I've ever seen; the photo below only shows a fraction. I love enamel signs and currently have two fixed onto our outside wall, which I'm on the look out to add to.

 

Amongst all the cars on show is the legendary Brough Superior motorbike (TE Lawrence was ridng a Brough when he was involved in a fatal accident); my Dad once had one of these and now rues the day that he sold it - especially as they are now very valuable.

The presence of two 1920s/30s caravans add to the retro feel of the museum, especially as they are filled with vintage goodies and have ragtime music playing in the background. I don't know how practical they would be on today's roads, but parked up in a field in the summer they would make an ideal retreat.



4 comments :

  1. Wow, it looks fabulous. I went there it must be ooooh, 25 years ago! Thanks for sharing the lovely photos, oh for a caravan like that...
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your pictures, I usually stay in Bourton for a couple of nights just before Christmas with my daughter.It has become a bit of a christmas tradition and the village looks just as pretty in winter but without all the tourists. I have missed out on the motor museum because I think it has always been closed at that time of year. I love the caravan and all the lovely things inside. Have a great weekend.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There used to be, and I hope still is, a good fish and chip shop in Bourton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Bourton on the Water (and the Cotwolds in general). Sounds like you had a lovely day out. Those enamel signs are great.

    Enjoyed your blog. Will be back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...